Friday 17 June 2011

Karma

First off, I'm going to start posting a lot more regularly, even though I will be away for my entire school holiday.

Secondly, I am now going to rage about "karma" in video games.

I don't really understand what most game studios are thinking when they put the idea of "karma" in games (except for Naughty Dog, who made inFamous). If you don't know, karma is basically the type of personality you choose to have in games, be it good, bad or neutral. The thing I don't understand about karma is that no matter which karma you choose, the storyline stays extremely similar.

If karma only makes the NPCs go :o (shock) and run away, what's the point? Game studios need to make karma have a bigger effect on the environment (again, refer to inFamous), for instance being chased by the law, or having underworld connections. I really don't think giving someone horns or a black aura is satisfying. Also, I'd like karma to evolve out of the RPG genre, because, frankly, after a while RPGs get very boring and monotonous.

I understand that studios have a deadline and can't always finish and buff all the details of the game, but I'd rather have no karma aspect than a bad one. I'd particularly have liked Lionhead (the creators of Fable) and Bethesda (the RPG masters) to have taken karma into serious consideration. Mull it over.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites